Chariots

JoatSimeon at aol.com JoatSimeon at aol.com
Fri Jan 29 20:34:27 UTC 1999

>vidynath at math.ohio-state.edu (Vidhyanath Rao)

>If by chariots we want to mean highly maneuverable vehicles, it is
>questionable whether the Sintasha vehicle was in fact one.

-- I don't think so.  It's a light bentwood-construction vehicle with two
spoked wheels pulled by paired draught horses.  Anyone looking at it will
immediately say "chariot".

Quacks like a duck, waddles like a duck, it's a duck.

>There seems to be a tendency to think that yoking horses (by the neck,
>no less) would magically transform an ox-cart into a chariot.

-- light bentwood and wicker construction and twin spoked wheels doesn't look
much like an oxcart.

And all chariots used neck-yokes, until the invention of the horse collar.