accusative and ergative languages

Larry Trask larryt at cogs.susx.ac.uk
Wed Jul 14 14:39:07 UTC 1999

On Sat, 10 Jul 1999 PIE at AN3039.spb.edu wrote:

[LT]

>> But Dixon also cites examples of ergative constructions which, in his
>> view, have very clearly *not* developed from passives, but from other
>> constructions.  His examples are Hittite and Pari.

> Pardon my ignorance, but i wonder what Hittite constructions can be
> claimed as ergative? Could you clarify Dixon's opinion?

> Does he mean the tendency to avoid using inanimates as 1st actants of
> two-argument predicate and to transform them to animates in -nt-, like
>
>     eshanants inan karapzi,
>     witenants eshar parkunut,    etc?

Dixon appears to be relying entirely on the views of Garrett, as
presented in this article:

A. Garrett (1990), `The origin of NP split ergativity', Language 66:
261-296.

It would appear that Garrett argues for an instrumental origin for the
Hittite construction he (she?) interprets as an ergative.

Larry Trask
COGS
University of Sussex
Brighton BN1 9QH