Momentary-Durative

Patrick C. Ryan proto-language at email.msn.com
Sat Jul 17 04:14:58 UTC 1999

Dear Peter, Vidhyanath, and IEists:

 ----- Original Message -----
From: petegray <petegray at btinternet.com>
Sent: Wednesday, July 14, 1999 2:21 PM

> Vidhyanath's two postings on aspect show clearly what the issue of aspect in
> PIE may be - we simply don't have a clear definition of what we are talking
> about.

> Greek usage does not agree with Vedic, and where traces of aorists exist in
> other languages (e.g. Armenian, OCS, Albanian, Latin, Baltic), we cannot
> convincingly recover an original aspectual meaning.

> The formations are clearly PIE, but I believe I can continue to claim that
> the distinctions between them, if recoverable, are certainly not those we
> find in Greek.   The Armenian-Greek- I-I sprachbund has certain known
> innovations, such as vocabulary and the augment, and we should not be miseld
> into accepting as original what may be another innovation, namely the
> development of new distinctions based on an existing variety of forms.

I do not wish to intrude on the interesting discussion between you in
progress. However, for whatever it may be worth, I have recently finished a
first draft of a small essay on IE aspects, and a few of you may find it of
passing interest:

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/2803/IE-VerbalInflection.htm

Pat

PATRICK C. RYAN (501) 227-9947; FAX/DATA (501)312-9947 9115 W. 34th St.
Little Rock, AR 72204-4441 USA WEBPAGES:
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/2803 and PROTO-RELIGION:
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/2803/proto-religion/indexR.html "Veit
ek, at ek hekk, vindga meipi, nftr allar nmu, geiri undapr . . . a ~eim
meipi er mangi veit hvers hann af rstum renn." (Havamal 138)