Recoverability

Patrick C. Ryan proto-language at email.msn.com
Mon Jul 19 04:17:28 UTC 1999

Dear Sean and IEists:

 ----- Original Message -----
From: Sean Crist <kurisuto at unagi.cis.upenn.edu>
Sent: Thursday, July 15, 1999 11:37 PM

> You need multiple examples of sound correspondences to be able to conduct
> the Comparative Method at all; and when the the cognates become as
> rarefied as they are this time-depth, the likelihood of having access to
> an adequate number of examples to work out the relevant sound changes
> becomes proportionately smaller, eventually reaching what for practical
> purposes is an impossibility.

Pat interjects:

"Rarefied" is a characterization only possible when one refuses to look at
the actual facts. An adequate number of examples to establish cognation is
furnished in the studies on Uralic at my website:

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/2803

Pat

PATRICK C. RYAN (501) 227-9947; FAX/DATA (501)312-9947 9115 W. 34th St.
Little Rock, AR 72204-4441 USA WEBPAGES:
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/2803 and PROTO-RELIGION:
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/2803/proto-religion/indexR.html "Veit
ek, at ek hekk, vindga meipi, nftr allar nmu, geiri undapr . . . a ~eim
meipi er mangi veit hvers hann af rstum renn." (Havamal 138)