PIE vs. Proto-World (Proto-Language)

Adam Hyllested adahyl at cphling.dk
Wed Jul 21 17:14:09 UTC 1999

On Fri, 16 Jul 1999 JoatSimeon at aol.com wrote:

> Our picture of PIE would be very different, and much less
> detailed, if we had no written records of extinct languages.

> Hell, the original insight that the IE languages were derived from a common
> ancestor was made by comparting Sanskrit with Classical Greek and Latin --
> all extinct languages!

> The link between Sanskrit and Latin or Classical Greek is so close that any
> layman can see it; whole phrases are nearly identical.
>
> This is, to put it mildly, not the case between, say, English and Bengali.

But if we only knew the modern IE languages, we would still be able to
reconstruct words like:

*p at ter 'father'

(on the basis of, say, English <father>, Italian <padre>, and Hindi
<pita>)

*newos 'new'

(on the basis of, say, Modern Greek <neos>, Portuguese <novo>, and Polish
<nowy>)

The same is true for morphological paradigms etc.

Adam Hyllested