PIE vs. Proto-World (Proto-Language)

Adam Hyllested adahyl at cphling.dk
Fri Jul 23 12:49:35 UTC 1999

On Fri, 16 Jul 1999, Ralf-Stefan Georg wrote:

> Even the
> notion that every known language, as Basque, Burushaski or whatnot, has to
> be related to some other language is ideology.

I suppose it is common sense to believe that "isolates" like Basque or
Burushaski at least have *dead* relatives. A language in colloquial
use never stays ONE language, but will inevitably split up into several
new languages. Which is exactly why "isolate" is merely a term
used for languages that have not yet been proven to be related to other
languages. Every single language has a mother and sisters. This is also
true of PIE, of course.
I could accept your statement above, if you inserted the word "living"
between "other" and "language".

Best regards,
Adam Hyllested