Semantic change

Patrick C. Ryan proto-language at email.msn.com
Fri Jul 30 04:35:12 UTC 1999

Dear Lloyd and IEists:

 ----- Original Message -----
From: <ECOLING at aol.com>
Sent: Monday, July 19, 1999 10:08 AM

> A less plausible semantic relation means that two
> look-alikes are less plausible as cognates.
> But requiring "identity" of meanings or even
> "near-identity" of meanings is an absurd
> requirement also, when we are working at great
> time depths.

> So what to do?
> Asserting simplistic extremes either for or against
> is not particularly useful.

Pat responds:

I agree completely. It is the subjectivity of the permissible limits that
militates against a consensus. It is the frustration of this situation that
has prompted well-intentioned researchers to insist on identity, which, as
you correctly identify, is also problematical. I sincerely wish there was
some mechanical or mathematical way to set these limits --- if only as I
check on some of my own wilder flights of fancy.

Pat

PATRICK C. RYAN (501) 227-9947; FAX/DATA (501)312-9947 9115 W. 34th St.
Little Rock, AR 72204-4441 USA WEBPAGES:
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/2803 and PROTO-RELIGION:
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/2803/proto-religion/indexR.html "Veit
ek, at ek hekk, vindga meipi, nftr allar nmu, geiri undapr . . . a ~eim
meipi er mangi veit hvers hann af rstum renn." (Havamal 138)