Latin perfects and Fluent Etruscan in 30 days!

Patrick C. Ryan proto-language at email.msn.com
Fri Jul 30 14:59:15 UTC 1999

Dear Damien and IEists:

 ----- Original Message -----
From: Damien Erwan Perrotin <114064.1241 at Compuserve.com>
Sent: Wednesday, July 28, 1999 2:14 PM

[ moderator snip ]

> [Damien Erwan Perrotin]

> The idea is interesting, but probably inexact as am- is not present only
> in Latin but also in Lydian (ama : to love) and in Breton (afan : to
> kiss from an older Brythonnic *ama). It is still possible that the
> Lydian form was a borrowing from an Etruscan-like tongue of the Aegean,
> but that is quite unlikely for Breton. So there can be only three
> explainations for the ressemblance you point out :
> a: chance ressemblance (always possible)
> b: Etruscan borrowed the word from Latin or from Celtic
> c: Etruscan is remotely linked to IE and this root is a remnant of this
> old relationship.

> Personnally, I favor the third thesis, but there is still work to do
> before proving it.

Pat comments:

Some might be interested in Egyptian jm-3, 'kind, gentle, well-disposed,
pleasining, gracious, be delighted, charmed', which I believe is likely to
represent an AA example of the same root.

Pat

PATRICK C. RYAN (501) 227-9947; FAX/DATA (501)312-9947 9115 W. 34th St.
Little Rock, AR 72204-4441 USA WEBPAGES:
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/2803 and PROTO-RELIGION:
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/2803/proto-religion/indexR.html "Veit
ek, at ek hekk, vindga meipi, nftr allar nmu, geiri undapr . . . a ~eim
meipi er mangi veit hvers hann af rstum renn." (Havamal 138)