Sociological Linguistics

Nik Taylor fortytwo at ufl.edu
Tue Jun 1 05:12:31 UTC 1999

"Patrick C. Ryan" wrote:

> So you do not believe fully modern man was present 200K BP? You are
> definitely in the minority here.

30K is the generally accepted value, I believe.  PIE was spoken, what,
about 8,000 years ago?  Assuming language appeared 30K BP (and probably
much earlier), PIE is still quite recent.

> We do not need a time-machine to reconstruct IE, do we?

Yeah, and look at this list.  If PIE was unarguably reconstructed, there
wouldn't be much of a list, now would there?  Because of the fact that
it was spoken just 8 millennia ago, or whatever, how much less certainty
would there be about proto-World?!

--
"It's bad manners to talk about ropes in the house of a man whose father
was hanged." - Irish proverb