Sociological Linguistics

Patrick C. Ryan proto-language at email.msn.com
Sun Jun 6 13:12:47 UTC 1999

Dear Robert and IEists:

 ----- Original Message -----
From: Robert Whiting <whiting at cc.helsinki.fi>
Sent: Friday, June 04, 1999 11:31 AM

> On Thu, 3 Jun 1999, Patrick C. Ryan wrote:

>> If you ever visit my website, you will see that nothing I hypothesize
>> about the Proto-Language does not have similar modern parallels.

Robert asked:

> What is the "similar modern parallel" for your supposition that a
> phonological distinctive feature ([+aspiration]) marks a semantic
> category ([+animate])?

Pat answered:

Oops. 'Nothing' is a little word with a big meaning. Should have qualified
to 'almost nothing'. On the feature you mention, there may be a language
that employs such a device but I am not aware of any other than the
Proto-Language that does.

Pat

PATRICK C. RYAN (501) 227-9947; FAX/DATA (501)312-9947 9115 W. 34th St.
Little Rock, AR 72204-4441 USA WEBPAGES:
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/2803 and PROTO-RELIGION:
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/2803/proto-religion/indexR.html "Veit
ek, at ek hekk, vindga meipi, nftr allar nmu, geiri undapr . . . a ~eim
meipi er mangi veit hvers hann af rstum renn." (Havamal 138)