punch not < panc

Mon Jun 7 21:53:04 UTC 1999

	The <u> in English, of course, is /@/. English <punch> /ph at nc^/
does sound very close to Hindi <panch>. It's possible that other European
languages got the word from written English
	BTW: I've also seen and heard that English <punch> "to hit with the
fist" <punk> "one who punches, or gets punched (or worse, as in prison
slang)" is from a Romany word for "five, fist"
	Along this line, I've wondered if <guy> --generally said to be
derived from the dummy of Guy Fawkes-- is from Romany, given that Spanish
gayo (said to be from Romany gaio "non-Gypsy") has the same meaning.
	Ditto English geeta (which I've only heard in gangster movies from
the 1940s) and Spanish guita, both meaning "money"