gayo/gadje

Max Dashu maxdashu at LanMinds.Com
Wed Jun 9 20:12:45 UTC 1999

>> Spanish gayo (said to be from Romany gaio "non-Gypsy")

>In Spain I always heard non-Gypsies being called 'payos', not 'gayos'. Could
>these be two variants derived from a common 'guayos'

I vote against "guayos." In eastern Europe the term is "gadje" or "gadjo."

>(The Gypsies were 'imported', originally in Eastern Europe, as slaves from
>northern India/Pakistan or thereabout, by Turkic (Ottoman) peoples during
>their westbound migration from central Asia, that was stopped at the gates
>of Vienna, and led to the creation of the Ottoman Empire and the present
>state of Turkey.

Not exactly. Roma migrations began around the 10th century, fleeing Turkic
invaders, rather than exported by them. These were not the Ottoman Turks.
They went through Iran and Armenia, where they were harried by the Seljuk
Turks, and fled again toward Greece and into the Balkans. Many of these
arrivals were enslaved in Rumania by the 1300s. The point is, generally
they arrived in Europe on their own.

Max Dashu