Intensive Reduplication

Patrick C. Ryan proto-language at email.msn.com
Thu Jun 10 01:52:34 UTC 1999

Dear Nath and IEists:

 ----- Original Message -----
From: Vidhyanath Rao <vidynath at math.ohio-state.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, June 08, 1999 7:15 AM

Pat, previously:

Nath wrote:

> So how do you explain Greek zugon?

Pat answers:

I do agree that the likeliest explanation for the [z] of zugon is that it
results from an initial *Hy- but I would like to ask the following
questions.

1) Obviously, *Heyew  is not a canonical IE root form.

2) Would you consider the original root *Hey- and -w a root extension?

3) Would you consider the possibility that the root is *yew- and that *He is
a preverb which may or may not have been present in the earliest IE?

I have no answers for these questions myself, and I am only interested in
your opinion.

Pat

PATRICK C. RYAN (501) 227-9947; FAX/DATA (501)312-9947 9115 W. 34th St.
Little Rock, AR 72204-4441 USA WEBPAGES:
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/2803 and PROTO-RELIGION:
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/2803/proto-religion/indexR.html "Veit
ek, at ek hekk, vindga meipi, nftr allar nmu, geiri undapr . . . a ~eim
meipi er mangi veit hvers hann af rstum renn." (Havamal 138)