Yet again: syllabicity

Patrick C. Ryan proto-language at email.msn.com
Fri Jun 11 13:22:19 UTC 1999

Dear Jens and IEists:

 ----- Original Message -----
From: Jens Elmegaard Rasmussen <jer at cphling.dk>
Sent: Wednesday, June 09, 1999 8:31 PM

> On Sun, 6 Jun 1999, Patrick C. Ryan wrote:

<snip>

>> The only answer I can offer is that I believe all plural forms originated
>> quite a bit later than singular (really, number-neutral) forms.

Jens commented:

> I, Jens, intrude: But secondarily created forms ought to be even more
> transparent than older forms. And it is a point in your reasoning that the
> material utilized to differentiate *bhe'ret and *bhe'rete (and **bhe'rt
> which does not appear to exist) was not distinctive. How, then, could it
> be available?

Pat responds:

Jens, with the best of intentions, I cannot understand what you are asking
here. Could you express it differently and more explicitly.

 <snip>

Pat, previously:

>> This situation, in turn, grew out of a pre-Ablaut more consistently ergative
>> system in which only two verbal forms existed: a passive perfective:
>> *bhere{'} (*bher- + *-He, patient marker) and a passive imperfective
>> *bherey (*bher- + *-He, patient marker + *-y, imperfective marker), which
>> would be almost exactly the situation I see for Sumerian.

Jens asked:

> Have you any examples of a language just "differentiating" by using what
> must have been, up till then, non-existing phantom-variants which were
> suddenly invented without any model? Though often heard in attempts to
> explain morphological systems - no, you are not alone - this just appears
> impossible.

Pat responds:

Sorry, Jens, again I cannot grasp what you are asking here. Cam you spell it
out more explicitly?

Jens continued:

> And why would an older stage of the language be as in Sumerian? What if
> the Indo-Europeans really _meant_ what they said and intended the system
> to be the way we find it? Then we could have almost exactly the situation
> I see for Indo-European. That would be an even closer parallel - by what
> rule is it inferior?

Pat responds:

There is no reason why an older stage of IE should have the same
inflectional patterns as Sumerian has, I remarked only because I found it
curious.

In Goettinger Beitraege zur Sprachwissenschaft, Heft 1, 1998, Gordon
Whittaker has an article entitled "Traces of an early Indo-European language
in southern Mesopotamia", which, I think is very interesting. Have you read
it?

Your final comments in this paragraph seem more an emotional release than an
argument, if you will forgive my saying it.

Pat

PATRICK C. RYAN (501) 227-9947; FAX/DATA (501)312-9947 9115 W. 34th St.
Little Rock, AR 72204-4441 USA WEBPAGES:
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/2803 and PROTO-RELIGION:
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/2803/proto-religion/indexR.html "Veit
ek, at ek hekk, vindga meipi, nftr allar nmu, geiri undapr . . . a ~eim
meipi er mangi veit hvers hann af rstum renn." (Havamal 138)