Intensive Reduplication

petegray petegray at btinternet.com
Fri Jun 11 19:58:01 UTC 1999

Thank you, Jens, for your analysis of PIE (H)y- and Greek /h/ ~ /z/.   I
want to question only the assumption that H3 was voiced.

As we have seen earlier in this group, the evidence for that is very slight,
if not minimal, if not based on one word in one language.   It may, of
course, have been voiced despite the lack of obvious and clear evidence, but
I would challenge your statement of it as a proven fact.

Can we approach it avoiding this assumption?   Are there examples of proven
H3 in words that have PIE Hy- and Greek /#z-/?   Or do the phonetic
conditions mean that the nature of the H is unrecoverable?

Peter