accusative and ergative languages

Larry Trask larryt at cogs.susx.ac.uk
Tue Jun 15 07:55:37 UTC 1999

On Mon, 14 Jun 1999, Patrick C. Ryan wrote:

> I continue to assert that complexity arises out of simplicity;

You may continue to assert this all you like, but what does it have to
do with ergativity, or with linguistics at all?

> and since I have found that the relationship between the object and
> the verb is primary, which loosely conforms to an ergative model of
> development,

No, it doesn't.  A division between objects and non-objects is
accusativity, not ergativity.  Ergativity is a division between
transitive subjects and all else.

> I would also assert that, at least once, an "ergative stage" must
> precede any "accusative stage" or a mixed system.

Unsubstantiated assertion.  You might, with equal justification, assert
that accusativity must precede ergativity in all cases.  If anything, it
is this last statement which is better supported by the evidence.

Larry Trask
COGS
University of Sussex
Brighton BN1 9QH