Momentary-Durative (II)

petegray petegray at btinternet.com
Tue Jun 15 18:30:42 UTC 1999

> Nath commented:

>> what
>> kind of aorists did all the roots with root presents form, before there were
>> thematic or s-aorists?

It is probable that the root aorist formation (but not of course the
meaning) existed before the tense system arose - and therefore before the
present tenses.   So your question is back to front.

Secondly, we are talking of a system in the process of developing.   So we
may not expect that every present formation had an aorist, or even vice
versa.   Besides, most so-called "root" presents have an -e- vowel, which
would distinguish them at least from thematic aorists, which have zero
grade.

Overall, I think your question is a non-question.

Peter