Hyug-

Patrick C. Ryan proto-language at email.msn.com
Wed Jun 16 15:39:19 UTC 1999

Dear Peter and IEists:

 ----- Original Message -----
From: petegray <petegray at btinternet.com>
Sent: Tuesday, June 15, 1999 1:06 PM

>>> Patrick has problems with the shape of a suggested root *Hyugom.

> I am not sure of the nature of these problems.   There are several other
> roots with zero grade HRRC, for example Hludh (come), h2wlh2 (wool), h2mlg'
> (milk), h3migh (mist), h1rudh-ro (red), h1widh-eu (widow).

> What is your objection, Pat?   Is it that you are convinced all PIE roots
> must originally have been diconsonantal?

In a general way, continuing the line of reasoning that seems not to sit
well with some, I continue to assert that the less complex must proceed the
complex --- even if the less complex forms are not recoverable.

So, yes, not only formally but actually, I do believe that all IE roots
should be analyzable around a skeleton of CVC(V). Whether we can plausibly
perform the analysis in the case of some very old roots as above, is, of
course, another question but I think we should regard them as potentially so
analyzable.

What do you think?

Pat

PATRICK C. RYAN (501) 227-9947; FAX/DATA (501)312-9947 9115 W. 34th St.
Little Rock, AR 72204-4441 USA WEBPAGES:
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/2803 and PROTO-RELIGION:
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/2803/proto-religion/indexR.html "Veit
ek, at ek hekk, vindga meipi, nftr allar nmu, geiri undapr . . . a ~eim
meipi er mangi veit hvers hann af rstum renn." (Havamal 138)