Hyug-

Patrick C. Ryan proto-language at email.msn.com
Sat Jun 19 05:40:47 UTC 1999

Dear Peter and IEists:

 ----- Original Message -----
From: petegray <petegray at btinternet.com>
Sent: Thursday, June 17, 1999 1:26 PM

First, please let me remark that I have been greatly enjoying your recent
very informative and well-reasoned postings.

> Pat said:

>> ... I do believe that all IE roots
>> should be analyzable around a skeleton of CVC(V).

Peter commented:

> We know that an initial s- is sometimes added to these CVC- roots, giving
> the structure sCVC- .   What do you think about an initial H- added before
> R?   I believe the idea is not new.

Pat asks:

Do you mean as an equivalent substitute for *s-?

I would be inclined to question it strongly because I believe we have a few
rare examples of *s- + *R:

*syu:-, which may be *s- + *yeu-

but personally, I favor here *sey- + *-u.

I feel that the best explanation for *s- is that it was an energeticus.

*H- is most economically explained as the ha- which Sturtevant briefly
mentions in his grammar on page 117, equivalent to IE *o-.

Pat

PATRICK C. RYAN (501) 227-9947; FAX/DATA (501)312-9947 9115 W. 34th St.
Little Rock, AR 72204-4441 USA WEBPAGES:
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/2803 and PROTO-RELIGION:
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/2803/proto-religion/indexR.html "Veit
ek, at ek hekk, vindga meipi, nftr allar nmu, geiri undapr . . . a ~eim
meipi er mangi veit hvers hann af rstum renn." (Havamal 138)