indoeuropean

Eduard Selleslagh edsel at glo.be
Mon Jun 21 09:44:48 UTC 1999

-----Original Message-----
From: Priscilla de Paula <prida at artnet.com.br>
Date: Monday, June 21, 1999 2:51 AM

>Dear Sir : I belong to the indoeuropean list and I am a begining student
>of this matter. I would like to know about the origin of the greek
>classic word : "cheir" , that means hand and that has done origin to the
>latin word "chyrurgia". There is a sanskrit radical for the word hand ?
>Thanks for your attention. Adelgicius paulae.
>e-mail : lagos at artnet.com.br

[Ed Selleslagh]

I would like to add a related question that has been bugging me for a long
time:
Classic Greek 'cheir' and Neo-Greek '(to) cheri' have a cognate in
Kartvelian (Georgian, S. Caucasus) 'cheli' (ch = khi, ach-laut).  Does any
of you have an explanation?

Ed.

[ Moderator's comment:
  If it is a cognate, that *is* the explanation.  Or do you mean simply that
  there is an *apparent* cognate (which would more properly be discussed on
  the Nostratic list)?
  --rma ]