Latin perfects and Fluent Etruscan in 30 days

Robert Orr colkitto at sprint.ca
Fri Jun 25 03:50:02 UTC 1999

-----Original Message-----
From: Rick Mc Callister <rmccalli at sunmuw1.MUW.Edu>
Date: Wednesday, June 23, 1999 2:44 AM

>>I have never found the derivation of -cland- from Latin -planta- wholly
>>convincing for several reasons.  Unless the Latin word is itself a
>>Q-Celtic or Etruscan loaner, if this is apparently a case of the p/q
>>variable distribution, my suspicion is you'd expect to se a q- or a c-
>>form in Latin rather than a p-.

> Or it conceivably Latin <planta> may have been a borrowing from
>Oscan or Gaulish, etc. used with a marked meaning, in which case any
>original *klanta would have disappeared. In Spanish, shoots off a plant
>(which used to propagate) are called "hijos" [children], so it might work
>in a metaphorical sense.

Celtic borrowed *planta from Latin, cf. Welsh "plant" - children.
Straightforward.

However, at the time Irish had no native *p-/-p-, and therefore "c" was
often substituted.  plant/clann is not the only such pair.  Off the cuff,
cf.

cloimh < pluma
Cothraiche < Patricius

This is basic in Celtic studies.