Latin perfects and Fluent Etruscan in 30 days

Fri Jun 25 18:00:00 UTC 1999

	I'm aware of the others and I've seen the explanation for clann <
planta but I've also read other explanations claiming that it's cognate to
Latin and that it's unsettled.
	But I have only the most superficial knowledge of Celtic, so I'd
wondering if the idea of clann < planta is virtually unanimous among Celtic
scholars or if there is wide disagreement or if the issue is just up in the
air.

>Celtic borrowed *planta from Latin, cf. Welsh "plant" - children.
>Straightforward.

>However, at the time Irish had no native *p-/-p-, and therefore "c" was
>often substituted.  plant/clann is not the only such pair.  Off the cuff,
>cf.

>cloimh < pluma
>Cothraiche < Patricius

>This is basic in Celtic studies.