IE and Etruscan

Jim Rader jrader at m-w.com
Thu Mar 4 09:06:25 UTC 1999

Nearly twenty years ago I heard Eric Hamp give an account of
Georgiev's lecture.  As I recall Hamp telling it, Georgiev thought
that Etruscan practically WAS Hittite, i.e., that Etruscan was an
Anatolian language.  The audience didn't contest his thesis out of
sheer stupefaction, not because they agreed.  Gueterbock walked out
of the lecture shaking his head and saying "Very interesting, very
interesting!"

Jim Rader

> Vladimir Georgiev [Sofia] held that Etruscan was early IE and related to
> Hittite.

> He presented his data to a meeting of linguists at the University of Chicago
> around 1968:

> nobody contested his data nor his thesis.
>  j p maher

[ moderator snip ]