Anatolians

Miguel Carrasquer Vidal mcv at wxs.nl
Tue Mar 9 17:55:22 UTC 1999

JoatSimeon at aol.com wrote:

>>mcv at wxs.nl writes:

>>Renfrew's 7000 BC is too early [for PIE], Mallory's 4000 BC is
>>too late [for Anatolian].

>-- nope to the latter.  We know Renfrew's 7000 BCE is too early for PIE
>because of the absence of the late-Neolithic innovations recorded in PIE in
>7000 BCE.  However, that vocabulary _is_ there in Anatolian.

Such as?

>Eg., the First Vowel Shift in Germanic can be
>securely dated to after 700 BCE, because Celtic ironworking loan-words in
>Proto-Germanic underwent the shift.

You must mean the First Consonant Shift.  But there's no such
thing.

There's no reason to assume, and some rather good reasons to
reject the notion that Grimm's Laws worked all simultaneously and
in one go, or even that such a thing as Grimm's ever took place.
It's a generally recognized fact that a PIE stop system *t, *d,
*dh is typologically unacceptable.  The original Proto-Germanic
phonological system must have been similar to the Armenian one,
with *t = *th, *d = *t['], *dh = *d, yet another archaic feature
of Germanic, though not quite as archaic as Hittite and
Tocharian.  But Verner's Law *is* as archaic as that, as we can
equate it with the Baltic-Finnic consonant mutation tt ~ t under
the influence of stress/syllable structure [see Vennemann,
"Hochgermanisch und Niedergermanisch", sorry can't find the exact
ref. now  Theo?], so it must have worked in Germanic at a period
when (partial) voicing had not yet taken place, and the
opposition was (as in Hittite) between fortis *tt (=*t) and lenis
*t' (=*d) and *th (=*dh).

The final stage, aspirate > fricative (*th > *T, *kh > *x) was
probably much more recent and in fact rather trivial.

Miguel Carrasquer Vidal
mcv at wxs.nl
Amsterdam