IE and Etruscan

Miguel Carrasquer Vidal mcv at wxs.nl
Mon Mar 8 04:21:29 UTC 1999

"Jim Rader" <jrader at m-w.com> wrote:

>Nearly twenty years ago I heard Eric Hamp give an account of
>Georgiev's lecture.  As I recall Hamp telling it, Georgiev thought
>that Etruscan practically WAS Hittite, i.e., that Etruscan was an
>Anatolian language.  The audience didn't contest his thesis out of
>sheer stupefaction, not because they agreed.  Gueterbock walked out
>of the lecture shaking his head and saying "Very interesting, very
>interesting!"

Another Indo-Europeanist arguing for Etruscan as an Anatolian
language is Francisco Adrados of the Spanish Academy:

Adrados, Francisco R., "Etruscan as an IE Anatolian (but not
Hittite) Language," Journal of Indo-European Studies 17
(Proceedings of the Second Conference on the Transformation of
European and Anatolian Culture 4500-2500 B.C. (Part I)
September 15-19, 1989, Dublin, Ireland), (1989) 363-383.

Adrados, Francisco R., "More on Etruscan as an IE-Anatolian
Language," Historische Sprachforschung 107/1 (1994)
54-76.

Has anybody read these?

Miguel Carrasquer Vidal
mcv at wxs.nl