/m/ in 1st Person Pronouns

iffr762 at utxvms.cc.utexas.edu iffr762 at utxvms.cc.utexas.edu
Mon Mar 8 13:51:44 UTC 1999

	Please try to remain calm, Mr. Gordon.
	Actually the study I am thinking of showed, as I now recall, a
tendency for 1st person pronouns to have nasals.  The matter of /m/ or /n/
was not, and to my knowledge has not been, adressed.  My "mama" thing is
just a guess at what lies behind the facts.  It does not imply that all
languages have 1st person pronouns with /m/, and more than recognizing the
"mama" syndrome implies that in all languages the word for 'mother' has
/m/.  Nor does it imply anything about "borrowing" of pronouns, a notion
I am quite unkeen on.

					DLW