Greek question & the pre-history of *nekwt

Sheila Watts sw271 at cus.cam.ac.uk
Tue Mar 9 08:52:37 UTC 1999

>No doubt someone will prove me wrong, but I believe Hittite was deciphered
>at first by German speakers - so z was used as in German, which is a great
>pain.   It = /ts/.

I am frankly appalled by this level of ethnocentricity. What's the idea, we
shouldn't allow non-English speakers to decipher ancient languages because
we can only handle orthography that reads like English?

If anyone is working in linguistics who finds it a problem when an
orthographical symbol has different phonetic value in different languages,
he or she should get out fast and try maths instead.

Sheila Watts
Dr Sheila Watts
Newnham College
Cambridge CB3 9DF