IE and Etruscan

Yoel L. Arbeitman yoel at mindspring.com
Wed Mar 10 02:54:22 UTC 1999

In the intervening time Adrados has written up his theory of how Etruscan
fits as an Anatolian language, but one that breaks off from
Proto-Common-Anatolian long, long before what we normally call the
Anatolian Languages break off. That is that from Proto-Anatolian, first
Etruscan branches off, representing this early stage of PA, much later
Common Anatolian (Hittite, the Luwic Languages, Palaic, the ancestor of
Lydian, etc.) break off.

Neu has written a different conceptualization of the position of Anatolian
within such a possible perspective. Adrados's article is in JIES and Neu's
in ZVS/KZ/HS. I can look up the dates, but don't have them at hand. And
just recently, based on no morphology whatsoever, Renfrew has Minoan
breaking off from this Mythic Proto-Common-Anatolian 7,000 B.C.E.

	Yoel