rate of change

Thu Mar 11 17:13:22 UTC 1999

	/tsoBu, LoBu/ are found in E. Galicia according to Galician
speakers I've talked and /shoBu/, I believe is found elsewhere.
	One problem is that spoken Galician is largely rural and fragmented.
	There is, evidently a "neo-Galician" which amounts to a Castillian
pronunciation of written Galician. And, I'm told, this is used by
Castillian speakers in Galicia with nationalist leanings. The difference
between the two is probably like that between Catalan and Valencian --which
sounds like Catalan being spoken by a Castillian.
	In any case, rural Galician is definitely more difficult for a
Spanish speaker to understand than Portuguese.

>On Thu, 4 Mar 1999, Rick Mc Callister wrote:

>> 	There is no such language as "Gallego-Spanish". There is, however,
>> galego or Galician, called gallego in Spanish. It is closer to Portuguese
>> than to Spanish and, in my experience, is more difficult to understand than
>> Brazilian Portuguese or standard Continental Portuguese. The Galician
>> literary standard, however, is a bit easier to read. But Galician is a
>> series of spoken dialects.
>> 	Note:
>> 	Spanish 	lobo /loBo/
>> 	Portuguese 	lobo /loBu, lobu/
>> 	Galician	/tsoBu, shoBu, LoBu/

>But these so-called Galician forms are not Galician but
>(Asturo-)Leonese. See A. Zamora Vicente, Dialectologia Espan~ola, 1967,
>122-130.

>Max W. Wheeler <maxw at cogs.susx.ac.uk>

[ moderator snip ]

Rick Mc Callister