Anatolians

Thu Mar 11 17:42:55 UTC 1999

>>mcv at wxs.nl writes:

>>that "wool" didn't exist in the vocabulary even in pre-Neolithic times.

>-- sheep didn't develop wool, as we know it, until well after domestication.
>Use of wool as a fabric is comparatively late -- well after the beginning of
>the neolithic.

	Not true. Hunter-gatherers gathered wool snagged on brush to make
garments. This is where the wool used by pre-Columbian North American
Indians came from

>>Hittite cognates (Hittite "wheel" is not *kwekwlo- or *rotHo- but
>><hurki>, related only to Tocharian <wa"rka"nt> "circle, wheel"),

	<hurki> and *kwekwlo- [a reduplication *kwel-] could be easily be
cognate if /kw/ > /wh, h/ & /l/ > /r/; both of which are common changes
	If the phonology doesn't correspond to the expected evolution, it
would be because it was a wanderword

Rick Mc Callister
W-1634
MUW