*p>f Revisited - When was German invented?

Miguel Carrasquer Vidal mcv at wxs.nl
Thu Mar 11 13:04:10 UTC 1999

Steve Long (X99Lynx at aol.com) wrote:

>In connection with this, Miguel Carrasquer Vidal has written in past post:

><<The original Proto-Germanic phonological system must have been similar to
>the Armenian one, with *t = *th, *d = *t['], *dh = *d, yet another archaic
>feature of Germanic, though not quite as archaic as Hittite and Tocharian.>>

>And...

><<I've also grown rather dubious about Greco-Armenian.  The similarities
>between Greek and Armenian (mainly in vocabulary) must be secondary, resulting
>from interaction in the Balkans, but Armenian must've split off from the main
>body of IE containing Greek earlier.>>

>Note that in the above analysis Greek is already a separate language.

Not really.  I use "Greek" here loosely as "pre-Greek", or "a
group of dialects, one of which later became Greek as we know
it".

I'm dubious about Armeno-Greek, but I can see nothing much in
favour of Armeno-German, except for the phonology and maybe
another couple of shared archaisms.

Miguel Carrasquer Vidal
mcv at wxs.nl
Amsterdam