Greek question & the pre-history of *nekwt

Yoel L. Arbeitman yoel at mindspring.com
Fri Mar 12 04:44:45 UTC 1999

At 11:52 PM 3/9/99 -0600, you wrote:
>Dear Miguel and IEists:

	The question of what was the form of Hittite and Anatolian "drink" has
progressed greatly since Sturtevant's time. In 1980 Morpurgo-Davies showed
that the cognate in Hieroglyphic Luwian was /u:/ and since *gw disappears
in HL, but *kw does not, the problem is solved. Proto-Anatolian had the
verb *e/agw-, known so well in that famed sentence deciphered by Hrozny' nu
NINDA adanzi nu watar akwanzi "And they eat bread and they drink water" .
It was long thought that here was the cognate, as a verb, of Latin aqua
"water". But now it is certain that the iterative-durative form cited
represents /akw=skizzi/ with regressive voice assimilation. And, long
before the 1980 discovery W. Winter proposed the cognation of Latin ebrius
"drunk"/ sobrius "sober"  (with -b- < *-gwh-) as well as Greek ne:phalos
"sober" with -ph- < only *-gwh-. Thus, far from being cognate with Latin
aqua, Anatolian *a/egw- is cognate with Latin ebrius "drunk", Gk. ne:phalos
"sober" and the long ago proposed Tocharian yok- "to drink". All argument
has been closed by the Hiero. Luw. verb which is reduced to a mere /u:/ and
is not open to argument.

YOEL