non-IE/Germanic/h

Fri Mar 12 18:05:13 UTC 1999

[ moderator re-formatted ]

Would you like to explain what your point is?

	falda in Spanish is "skirt" or "flank" [of a mountain]. Skirt is
obviously the basic meaning

	As I pointed out, it can't be a native word in Spanish

	BUT I was asking whether the form /alda, alde, halda/  might exist
in Old Spanish, Aragonese or Gascon. As you know, like Spanish, Gascon also
changed initial /fVC/ > /hVC/. Aragonese sometimes does this; although
descriptions of Aragonese sound pretty lame. If such a form did indeed
exist, either of these COULD have provided a source for Basque "alde, alte".

Now, what's YOUR point?