*p>f Revisited - When was German invented?

X99Lynx at aol.com X99Lynx at aol.com
Sat Mar 13 03:06:57 UTC 1999

In a message dated 3/12/99 7:30:14 PM, Sheila Watts wrote:

<<I'm a great fan of Bernard Comrie's, and he's the author of quite a few
books. Could you tell us which one this is, please?>>

The large and somewhat disquieting 'The World's Major Languages' (Oxford Univ
Press 1987).  Actually Comrie was the editor and did the section on Russian.
The part I quoted (p.71), connecting the first sound shift in German with the
earlier non-IE language, was by John A. Hawkins (also from USC), who did the
sections on Germanic Languages and on German.  Philip Baldi did the section on
Indo-European.

Regards,
Steve Long