Anatolian /nt/

Yoel L. Arbeitman yoel at mindspring.com
Sat Mar 13 04:47:45 UTC 1999

We cannot ignore the famed example of Sapir's. Hittite <kupahi> /kubaGi/
(/G/ - voiced pharyngeal, ghain) has a double representation in Biblical
Hebrew: qoba'' ('' = ayin) and koba''. From this Sapir concluded that
whereas Hebrew <k> is aspirated phonetically and Hebrew /q/ is
non-aspirated, but glottalized or pharyngealized (emphatic), the Hittite
<k> which was phonetically [k] i.e. [-aspiration, -emphaticness], could not
adequately be represented by either Hebrew grapheme. So the alternating
writings. As for the cluster /nt/ in Anatolian into Greek, this is a
special combination. Witness its pronunciation in Modern Greek. One cannot
extrapolate from how a /nt/ would be transcribed into Greek to how any non
prenasalized unvoiced obstruent would be realized phonetically and/ or
graphemically.

	Yoel