Ix-nay on the ostratic-nay

Glen Gordon glengordon01 at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 14 01:02:28 UTC 1999

DLW:
 See coming response to Glenny. Both /m/ and /n/ tend to occur in
 words for female care-givers, with /n/ typically referring to more
 secondary ones, as in "nanny".

So what. You haven't demonstrated a link between relationship-words and
pronouns nor proof that your "mama" theory is attributable to pronouns.

DLW:
 1st pronouns do show a statistically significant tendency to use
 nasals, [...] If a mother is going to imagine that her baby, who is
 in fact only babbling, is talking to her, then "mama" and "me" are
 the words she will want to hear the baby say.

Which can be caused by anything, including mass linguistic
relationships. That languages can be related is ubiquitously
demonstrated throughout linguistics. The "mama syndrome" in relation to
pronouns is not in the least. I am terminating the discussion.

Again, you're being Eurocentric. Imagine an Abkhaz mother whose word for
"me" is <sara>, if the baby is practicing the /m/ sound, she will never
hear "me" at all in her baby's babbling nor will the baby grow up saying
<mara> instead, unless the baby is wrought with dysphasia.

Please cease this blatantly moronic topic. If I seem angry again, it's
because I can't believe that someone, who evidently has a reasonable
command of the English language, can honestly persue such an intuitively
bad theory.

Glen Gordon
glengordon01 at hotmail.com