Anatolian /nt/

maher, johnpeter jpmaher at neiu.edu
Sun Mar 14 12:56:46 UTC 1999

-- some data from Greek and Greek-English bilinguals to render more concrete
Yoel A's incisive point:

'5' can be pronounced PENDE or PEDE; PENTE is not heard in modern Greek.

The same mutatis mutandis for  OLIMBIKOS and OLIBIKOS.

'Hsmburger' on signs sometimes appears as HABURGER

Homophones BED/BEND.

MUDDY/MONDAY

"...the FIGURES/FINGERS of speets"

"She has a nice FIGURE/FINGER"

"how do you ADDRESS/UNDRESS a LADY/LAINDY?"

jpm

"Yoel L. Arbeitman" wrote:

> We cannot ignore the famed example of Sapir's. Hittite <kupahi> /kubaGi/
> (/G/ - voiced pharyngeal, ghain) has a double representation in Biblical
> Hebrew: qoba'' ('' = ayin) and koba''. From this Sapir concluded that
> whereas Hebrew <k> is aspirated phonetically and Hebrew /q/ is
> non-aspirated, but glottalized or pharyngealized (emphatic), the Hittite
> <k> which was phonetically [k] i.e. [-aspiration, -emphaticness], could not
> adequately be represented by either Hebrew grapheme. So the alternating
> writings. As for the cluster /nt/ in Anatolian into Greek, this is a
> special combination. Witness its pronunciation in Modern Greek. One cannot
> extrapolate from how a /nt/ would be transcribed into Greek to how any non
> prenasalized unvoiced obstruent would be realized phonetically and/ or
> graphemically.

>         Yoel

[ moderator snip ]