Non-IE roots in Germanic/@, a, e, i, j, o, u

maher, johnpeter jpmaher at neiu.edu
Sun Mar 14 13:36:01 UTC 1999

The following is not taken as a refutation, but a complication:

The term METEORITE is a 19th century coinage, according to the OED.

An astronomer at the Chicago Planetarium told me some twenty years ago, if
memory serves, that the ancients did not know the source of meteorites.  Are we
being anachronistic? Is another principle involved. Cf. STAR SAPPHIRE: Reichelt
adduced that in support of his thesis of "der steinerne Hiimmel".

jpm

Miguel Carrasquer Vidal wrote:

[ moderator snip ]

> Meteoric iron is indeed the earliest source for the metal, as
> seen for instance in Sumerian AN.BAR "[lit. sky silver] iron".
>
> That's what makes a Celtic *i:sar-no- derived from "Vasconic"
> *isar "star" semantically plausible.  Unfortunately, there is
> zero evidence from Basque itself for the use of <izar> in a
> metallurgical context.  Basque for "iron" is <burdina> (maybe
> originally "ore", if compounds like burdin-gorri [=red] "copper"
> and burdin-(h)ori [=yellow] "brass" are not recent coinages).

[ moderator snip ]