Greek question (night?)

Jim Rader jrader at m-w.com
Mon Mar 15 10:40:16 UTC 1999

Some wild stabs in the dark, so to speak, here.  Am I the only one
who would be too embarrassed to post guesses without looking in the
standard handbooks of historical phonology for Slavic or Celtic?

At any rate, Polish <noc> and all the cognate words for "night" in
Slavic show regular development of <-kti(:)->.  There is no dropping of
<t>.  Welsh <nos> is the outcome of a derivative, <*nokt-stu->,
according to Pedersen.  The regular outcome of intervocalic <-kt-> in
Welsh is <-th->, a voiceless interdental fricative.  The base <nokt->
shows up regularly  in Welsh in the word <neithiwr> "last night."
The outcome of <-kt-> in Irish is <-cht->, which shows up in Old
Irish <innocht> "tonight," Modern Irish <anocht>.

Jim Rader

[ moderator snip ]