The Neolithic Hypothesis

JoatSimeon at aol.com JoatSimeon at aol.com
Tue Mar 16 00:37:26 UTC 1999

>X99Lynx at aol.com writes:

>Agriculture appears in Greece between 7000 and 6000 bce.  It reaches Denmark
>about 3900 bce.  It is truly adopted on the North European Plain about 3500
>bce.  And there is evidence that dirt farming (versus husbandry) did not take
>hold in the British Isles until the early bronze age.

-- these dates are out of date, I'm afraid, apart from the one on Greece.  And
that should be "Greece and the southern Balkans"; they received agriculture at
about the same time.

Agriculture reached the Hungarian plain in the 6th millenium BCE (5000's) and
spread across Europe in the late 6th and early 5th millenium with the Linear
Pottery culture.

Agriculture was established in Britain in the centuries after 4000 BCE and the
plow was already employed there in the 4th millenium.

(Dates from the OXFORD PREHISTORY OF EUROPE, chs. 4&5).