Greek question & the pre-history of *nekwt

Patrick C. Ryan proto-language at email.msn.com
Tue Mar 16 05:16:16 UTC 1999

Dear Yoel and IEists:

-----Original Message-----
From: Yoel L. Arbeitman <yoel at mindspring.com>
Date: Monday, March 15, 1999 8:47 PM

>Dear Pat and Colleagues,

> In a word the answer is YES. The durative-iterative, same morpheme
>involved, of Hittite dai- (< IE *dhe:) "to place, etc." is written
><zkissti> which represnts /t-skizzi/ where the root d(ai-) is reduced to
>its minimum and the iterative -ski- is added with retrogressive
>assimilitation of radical d to t. [Answers continued below].

Although the word is written zi-ik-ki-iz-zi according to Sturtevant, I
understand your point. However in view of te-ih-hi, I am more more inclined
to interpret this as tsikitsi, with a simple metathesis of the -s- because
we have no reason to think zero-grade of tei- should be simply t-. Before
metathesis took place, we should have expected **ti'skitsi.

Thank you for your informative answer otherwise.

<snip>

Pat