"mama" Syndrome in 1st Person

iffr762 at utxvms.cc.utexas.edu iffr762 at utxvms.cc.utexas.edu
Tue Mar 16 18:48:59 UTC 1999

> >So what. You haven't demonstrated a link between relationship-words and
> >pronouns nor proof that your "mama" theory is attributable to pronouns.

	Nor have you demonstrated the contrary.  All we have is a fact,
that 1st person pronouns show a statistically significant tendency to use
nasals, which is the same thing that happens with female care-givers.  I
have one guess at why this might be.  If you have another one, let's hear
it.  But the main thing is to realize that, contrary to what might be
expected, the distribution of sounds in 1st person pronouns is not in fact
random, so that finding "Nostratic" forms with nasals does not mean
much.

> ...including mass linguistic
> >relationships. That languages can be related is ubiquitously
> >demonstrated throughout linguistics. The "mama syndrome" in relation to
> >pronouns is not in the least. I am terminating the discussion.

	I don't think so.  So your explanation is effectively
"Proto-World"?  You do indeed have more in common with Pat Ryan than you
may be pleased to contemplate.

> >Again, you're being Eurocentric.

	Again, I am not.  To note that a tendency is statistically
significant is not to assert that it is universal.  The survey which
revealed the anomaly was of languages of the world, not of IE languages or
languages of Europe.  (Oh where is that reference, someone out there must
know ...)

					DLW