IE and Substrates and Time

Glen Gordon glengordon01 at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 17 02:53:02 UTC 1999

>>So can we not assume that somewhere between 1000 and 2000 years is
>>required for communications difficulties to become strenuous, and
>>more than 2000 years for them to be so large as to prevent
>>communications,

>-- in general, but not necessarily in particular.  Drastic
>modification is possible in a fairly short time

Ain't that the truth! Ever listened to rap lately?? Does anyone REALLY
understand Shakespeare anymore? "Whan thaet April with his showres
soote..." What the &*@#???!

[ Moderator's comment:
  Chaucer, of course.  Shakespeare is easy.
  --rma ]

Yet another reason why Miguel's arguements, about how "different" IE
languages have become over a seemingly short interval to substantiate a
different locale for IE, don't sway me either. And if you think about
it, there's no reason not to think that IE had differentiated BEFORE
these dialects had spread out. Thus differences between Anatolian and
Greek after a millenium or so don't get me in a big tizzy.

Glen Gordon
glengordon01 at hotmail.com