Bartholomae's Law and Greek 'night'

iffr762 at utxvms.cc.utexas.edu iffr762 at utxvms.cc.utexas.edu
Wed Mar 17 18:38:26 UTC 1999

	So if B's Law would not (necessarily) apply save across a
(productive) morpheme boundary, what is wrong with /-ght/?  (Labialized or
not, as appropriate.)

					DLW

[ Moderator's response:
  I was heavily influenced by reading Kuryl~owicz as an undergraduate; his
  version of Bartholomae's Law obviously stuck with me for a long time.  If it
  would not apply except across morpheme boundaries, nothing but Occam's Razor
  is wrong with **nog^wht- as the stem:  All the unambiguous languages attest
  a cluster *-k^wt-, so without external evidence why postulate **-g^wht-?  I'm
  sorry, but I am not convinced by the Greek and Hittite evidence (yet).
  --rma ]