borrowing pronouns

maher, johnpeter jpmaher at neiu.edu
Thu Mar 18 15:26:10 UTC 1999

[ moderator re-formatted ]

1. The formulation "looks less appealing" does not amount to a demonstration or
refutation, but is an initial call to reconsider, verify or disprove the
proposition. Go to it, muchachos!

2. It has been sagely noted that dictionary entry forms are a only convenient
way to access lexical items in books, but, given the particular traditions of
entering nominatives stems or whatever, it is necessary to consider forms that
give more information. It is just as wise to remember that we do not walk
around uttering isolated words, and to be aware that that words are for the
most part extracted from syntax, that most or our word are back-formations from
experienced syntagmata. Hence:

3. What is the history of gender concord between these feminine head nouns and
accompanying adjectives?