abarca/abarka/alpargata

Thu Mar 18 16:07:34 UTC 1999

I checked Wehr for
b-r-gh, b-r-q, b-r-j, b-r-k, b-r-3
I even tried with alif, w & y
there's nothing even close
but Wehr only has standard Arabic

Even if it were an "Oriental" word, if it passed through Arabic, it would
still show  /p > b/. And even if Spanish Arabic had /p/, which I don't
know, it's a far ways off from the "Orient".

It sounds like he's fudging this one

[snip]

>Coromines mentions, to explain Hispano-Arabic <parga>. possible
>contamination with some (unidentified) oriental word [i.e. some
>hand-waving by Coromines]. The plural <al-parga:t> is the source of Sp.
><alpargata>.

	By <g>, does Corominas/es means standard /j, zh/ [from /g/]? or /gh/?

>The cognates in Cat., Port, have the form <avarca>.

[snip]