ara/ndano

Thu Mar 18 16:24:22 UTC 1999

But Corominas proposed such a link in 1980
What is this? A case of a man with two brains?

Corominas says ara/n is "sloe"
"ara/ndano" is "blueberry" in Latin America
my cheapo office dictionary has "cranberry, blueberry" for ara/ndano
but AFAIK cranberries are unknown in Latin America
and in Europe, cranberries are something different from what Americans call
cranberries, I have know idea what they look like --just that, like
American cranberries, that they're reputed to taste like crap

I have no idea what a "bilberry" is. Is it something Hobbits eat?

[snip]
>[Coromines] doubts a connection between Basque <aran> and Sp <ara'andano>, Ptg
><arando> 'bilberry' beyond the possibility of (a cognate of) the latter
>having influenced the transformation of *agranio > <aran>.

>Coromines's account of *agr- > <ar-> in the Aragonese, Cat., WOc etc.
>forms, while not without parallels, is somewhat ad hoc.

[snip]