Borrowing pronouns

Miguel Carrasquer Vidal mcv at wxs.nl
Fri Mar 19 14:36:59 UTC 1999

19th c. spelling <Uwe'> /y'We/ > /'yW@/ > /y/.

>  {jij} no longer used as plural.
>  (du} fell completely out of use :: in the 16th century it was a literary
>rarity. (But I have seen {dou wilde se} = "thou wild sea" in a poem in
>modern Frisian.)

Yes, Frisian is different:

1. ik           mij/my
2. do/du^       dij/dy  (fam.)
   jo           jo      (form.)
3. hij/hy       him     (masc.)
   sij/sy/hja   har     (fem.)
1. wij/wy       u's
2. jim(me)      jim(me)
3. sij/sy/hja   har

>    The present situation is (I think: my Dutch has got a bit stale; I
>learned it for 2 holidays motorcycling around Holland around 1980):-
>  nom          gen
>  jij & je     jouw      you (sg) (intimate / condescending, like French {tu})
>  gij & ge               thou (sg) (religious / dialectal / poetical)
>  jullie    van jullie   you (pl) (familiar)  (< "you people")
>  u            uw        you (sg & pl) (polite)

nom     acc     gen
jij     jou     jouw   (unstressed: je - je - je)
gij     u       uw     (unstressed: ge - u  - u)
jullie  jullie  jullie (unstressed: jullie - je - jullie)
U       U       Uw

In Southern dialects, there is a single 2nd. person form (no
familiar, formal; singular, plural distinctions) gij/u/uw, much
as in English.  Jij/gij and jou(we)/u(we) are phonetic variants
(the first northern, the second southern).

Miguel Carrasquer Vidal
mcv at wxs.nl
Amsterdam