`Sancho'

Larry Trask larryt at cogs.susx.ac.uk
Fri Mar 19 11:32:12 UTC 1999

On Thu, 18 Mar 1999, Rick Mc Callister wrote:

> 	Navarrese is usually considered a form of Aragonese

Yes, this is correct.

> and I've read in some places that Navarra is now the only place
> where "Aragonese" is now spoken.

Interesting, but I haven't come across such a report.  Outside the
Basque-speaking region, I've only ever encountered Castilian in Navarre,
but then I don't suppose many people would try to speak Aragonese to me
even if they knew it.

Interestingly, the larger cities of Navarre all contain significant
numbers of Basque-speakers today, thanks to immigration from the
Basque-speaking area to the north.

Larry Trask
COGS
University of Sussex