borrowing pronouns

Miguel Carrasquer Vidal mcv at wxs.nl
Fri Mar 19 12:32:03 UTC 1999

"maher, johnpeter" <jpmaher at neiu.edu> wrote:

>3. If <V[uestra Merc]ed> is the source of <Vd.> was there, in the early period
>of the usage, gender concord in complement adjectives?
>
>. E.g. "!Vd. esta viva! " [I lack Castilian font: please invert first /!/.]

In the early period, i.e. when fully pronounced "vuestra merced",
such concord might occasionally have been used.  Cf. "Vuestra
majestad esta' viva / vivo".  But the usual concord would have
applied otherwise, exactly the same as in the case of "vos":

"... pide verbo en plural, pero concierta en singular con el
adjetivo aplicado a la persona a quien se dirige: vos, don Pedro,
sois docto; vos, Juana, sois caritativa"  (Dicc. de la Lengua)

Miguel Carrasquer Vidal
mcv at wxs.nl
Amsterdam